Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Home again...

Home is a tricky thing for MKs - if I were a computer and pushed the "home" button, I wonder where that would take me? Where is the beginning of the line? When we moved to Harrisonburg I looked around and decided that this would make a good home base - a place always to return to - much to Terry's chagrin! He's truly a global nomad, always with the itchy feet. Growing up Anita and I always had a home base - either the Wycliffe center (see link on sidebar) or the Phelps farm in Chaffee. The Wycliffe center in Yarinacocha has closed, and while the farm is still there, Grandma is not (although there is a cousins reunion in the works for the end of this month!), and that changes everything. Harrisonburg is nice and rural, with a critical mass of Latin American influence so I can maintain my sense of connection. It's not the same as living in Latin America, but an approximation... it takes effort to keep the connection here.

It was wonderful to sleep in my own bad last night :-) It's hotter here than in Costa Rica, though. We had a great weekend before returning, hanging out with Ruben and Lina Maria's church at a weekend retreat of sorts (very casual), and climbing Mt. Poas volcano with Fiorella.
It was misty and cool at the top, I was chilly in a heavy sweater and shorts. The volcano is part of a National Park, so all around the cone was a tangled wet cloud forest full of little birds and tourists.

Good progress was made on the socks - although just for kicks (ha ha) I tried on the finished one last night, and it fit my size 9 1/2 foot perfectly... although it was supposed to be for my abuelita's size 6 foot! Oops... well, I can certainly put these to good use in Ithaca this winter! Meanwhile, I'll just have to start another pair for my grandma - darn! (well... not yet!)

No comments: