Friday, September 25, 2020

Moving into Fall

 


It feels like this corner of the world has started shifting into Fall. The shops are still stocked with sandals and swimsuits, but temperatures have dropped slightly and rains have blown in this week. I was very nervous about biking to school in the rain, but we have managed so far. Got new raincoats and sturdier shoes. 

The first rainy day, I wore these nylon pants that I've had simply forever. They are not waterproof but they do dry very quickly so they are suitable for wet days; I just take a skirt or something to change into once I get to school. Not very stylish but they'll do the job. 

I actually did the math then, because I remember wearing these in Bolivia, back when I would drive a motorcycle in the mud and hike into pastures in our work with MCC. I remember that my uncle Dave gave them to me. They are Champion brand and I'm pretty sure he got them at Wal-Mart. They have to be at least 25 years old, then. I don't remember having them in college so I can peg the date at or around summer 1995 when I graduated. 

Not that my memory is that reliable. 

But I do have vivid memories of mosquitos clustered thickly on these pants during community meetings in Yapacaní. 

It feels good to have clothes that old, still useful. Older than some of my colleagues at school! 

No comments: