Friday, September 18, 2020

School in the time of Covid-19

 Week one of in-person instruction for the 2020-2021 school year is in the books!

On Monday I was ready to collapse from exhaustion, but it turned out to be mostly dehydration. The weather continues to be very hot in Albania, and we are required to keep our classroom windows open and wear masks at all times indoors. We can turn on the A/C in the classroom, but it isn't very effective with the windows open (although it helps). 

I forgot to drink water, and since we biked to school and back, I got home with a massive headache and just kind of fell into bed.

The rest of the week went better, although by Wednesday I actually thought we'd been in in-person school for two weeks already!


About a month ago, when staff meetings began, I discovered this card on the whiteboard in my classroom, under the date: March 9, 2020. That was the last day we were in the building until this fall. It was a poignant moment. I left the date un-erased, as a kind of marker of the massive transition that happened that day. 

As far as school itself goes, there have been no major disasters, no huge problems, no massive snafus. It has been a surprisingly uneventful first week back in the classroom. I absolutely love being face-to-face, despite the masks, despite the heat. I love getting overly dramatic while reading out loud or explaining concepts. I've always had a bit of a diva in me (I loved acting in plays or performing music, even though I'm at best mediocre in those areas) and it's really fun being in front of a classroom again. 

The students have been mostly cooperative, and also glad to be together again. Everything depends on their cooperation, so that's encouraging. 

At the same time, I am deeply tired. I have very little down time for planning since we have to cover more study halls (keeping class cohorts separate) and more stringently supervise lunch time and down time in general. As an introvert, it's wearying to be always "on stage." I like being on stage, but I need the backstage time to recharge and rest. 

Hurray for weekends! 

No comments: