Monday, May 22, 2006

Loving Memory

Last year my brother-in-law, Aaron Kane, died at the age of 30 of unknown causes. The grief is still too fresh to say too much here. One way that I have found to soothe the sadness is by knitting baby sweaters. When Solana, Aaron's daughter, was born on September 13, 2004, I knitted up a storm of little sweaters and discovered the fun of making small things - an excellent venue for experimenting with color, texture, and design. They're small, so you finish fast :-) When we lost Aaron, I had this brainstorm to knit and sell baby sweaters to get a little income for Solana; the additional benefit has been the venue for expressing my love and grief in yarn. So far I have made 11 sweaters and 3 hats (the hats were commissioned by my cousin Reuben), sold this one to Tara, and sent the rest to the Farmer's Market with Tracey. I even ordered little tags that say "Solana Sweaters." It only took me 13 months to actually get this project going... but every stitch was made with love. And every cent goes to Solana.

1 comment:

Meghann said...

Elizabeth..
I never got to thank you personally - the sweater shown there has been given to my son, Wesley - the one I was pregnant with while taking your class. It's a beautiful work of art & love. Thank you!! (Tara's sister Meghann)