Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Coming down the pike

1 day, 13 hours, and 45 minutes left until the OR.

How strange is that?

Terry and I had a long talk with the Doc last night, who is unwilling to let us postpone the cesarean (in hopes of the baby turning) or go to acupuncture (which is supposed to help turn baby) because of another high BP spike on Sunday morning (157/114). She just doesn't feel like the potential risks are worth the potential benefits.

So tomorrow we start the paperwork and other processing.

I feel like I have dealt with most of my fears, except perhaps the fear that we're making a big mistake by not just walking out of the hospital and insisting on doing this on our own terms, without major surgery. I feel like the baby is happy and doing well where s/he is, so why take him/her out right now?

On the other hand, I've read enough blogs to know that the potential risks are very real; babies and mothers have died as a result of pre-eclampsia. Even though I don't have pre-e now, it's such an unpredictable condition.

So it seems like erring on the "safe side" means giving myself up to the knife.

I can't imagine what it's going to be like to finally meet our baby.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

"I can't imagine what it's going to be like to finally meet our baby."

Almost 6 months after meeting LG for the first time, it is still surreal.

I am happy for you!

tara said...

I don't think that you are making a mistake by going thru with the c-birth. Obviously you would prefer the other option but I think that the dr's mind was made up when the critter didn't take the contraction very well--- that I think is the current fear. i'm still very excited that you get to meet the baby soon!!! i agree with rachel that it still surreal.

Mrs. Spit said...

I understand that this isn't the way you wanted to birth, and there is some real grieving involved in having circumstances beyond your control change your plans. But you are right, the section is the safest course.