Monday, February 22, 2016

Lego Love (now with more pictures...)

I love Legos, irrationally and completely.


When Gabriel wants my attention he knows that saying "Let's play with Legos!" is pretty much a guaranteed tactic for success.

Right now there is a Lego Fun Fest happening at the expo center next to our apartment complex... you can bet we'll be there Saturday!

At the same time, being a guilt-ridden person by default, I think of the plastic that is going to end up at the bottom of the ocean or in the gut of a fish or seabird. I realize that disposable plastic packaging and containers are a bigger issue than Legos... but I still think about this every time we chuck a broken plastic toy in the trash, too.

This was my mother's day gift last year. The kids do not get to touch it.
 I love the total creativity that goes into playing with Legos. We have so many sets mixed together, sometimes I think how nice it would be to restore them all to their original sets - but I also think that mixing them up can produce wonderfully bizarre and creative things. We make creatures, vehicles, and habitats of all kinds. Once I even made a monkey with moving arms, legs, and tail. It's so absorbing. Like so much of life, I need to figure out how to balance care for the earth with everything else.
Nearest Gabe is the monkey I made

No comments: