Thursday, September 14, 2006

Top Ten Reasons to Unravel a Sock

1. I don't think I have enough yarn for two matching socks, at least not the size and leg-length that I've established with the first one.

2. Related to #1, I've never made a toe-up sock (starting the knitting at the toe and working upwards). Limited yarn yardage is the ideal reason to learn!

3. I can probably unravel and read at the same time.

4. I really only started this sock because I needed a sock project to carry around with me (light, portable, metal needles won't break in my backpack) - I'm not that attached or invested. (Narrator: yes, but there are seven hours' worth of knitting in that sock... seven hours... do you know how much you could read in seven hours?)

5. The pleasure of knitting is in the act of knitting itself (as has previously been discussed on this very blog); therefore, re-knitting the same yarn again in another form doubles the pleasure...

6. Regia! Fall colors!

7-10 - I can't really come up with any more reasons. I'm sure Gramsci, Foucault, and Lenin (see shelf sock) would have a thing or two to say about the social theory of unraveling and reknitting socks. It's an historical inevitability...the sock must be undone in order to bring in the revolution and the dictatorship of the purl stitch. So there you have it. The dialectic of knit.

6 comments:

AK said...

.. not to mention the bourgeois implications of using metal needles over more proletariat bamboo....

Good grief did I just make a knitting comment..... quick someone get me a tatoo, dip me in motor oil, throw a steak at me and turn on some football.....

I have enjoyed your frequent blogging, keep it up.

E. Phantzi said...

How is bamboo more proletarian than metal??! Bamboo is an exotic import that is part of the global capitalist system - it is an ELITE knitting tool - whereas metal is the people's substance - witness Quechua women who knit with SHARPENED BICYCLE SPOKES! The subtleties of pine will have to be contemplated further - is plantation pine bourgeois or proletariat? Hmmm.... :-)

Stay tuned for further developments from the Knitter's Manifesto... (hey, that could be a great new title for my blog...) :-)

tara said...

whoa there
didn't you learn ANYTHING in gold ;)

mining BAD! for environment... things that are bad for the environment disproportionally exploit the lower classes to meet the ever-expanding blob-like greed-needs of the oppressive white male upper class

bamboo, natural, fast growing, renewable source of knitting needles....

from the bourgeois bamboo-preferring knitter

tara said...

nice wool by the way

E. Phantzi said...

Yes, but the key point is who owns the means of production?

This could go the (circular) way of the straight needles vs. circular needles debate...

AK said...

good grief!

Whereas dismantling the bicycle spokes of oppression is proletariat in form, essentially, the buying of metal or bamboo knitting needles both being transcendental objects - both also being produced by the "Man" - it is incumbent upon the knitter to introduce an essence of good to them.... or with them....

.... what too Kantian?