Thursday, August 31, 2006

Care and Feeding of the Grad Student

I took a nap today; it was lovely. I came home after class because I had walked out the door without the lunch I had packed earlier. I walked past Bebe Lake, where the still water above the dam mirrors the trees. Came home to a clean house, ate a hot lunch, and sat down to read. I realized after about 5 minutes that I was reading the same page over and over without comprehending any of it, and my head hurt. Hence the nap :-). I had to shush my anxiety that was whining "but I have to read or I'll get behind!" Sometimes you just need to sleep.
That's my bed in the photo, to the left of the comfy chair. At the far right you can see the corner of the desk, just above the family photos. It's a wonderful life for an introvert :-). (Although on my 4th day without Terry this week, it has been getting a little lonely...)

This afternoon I was on the docket to give a 15-minute presentation on the reading due today; afterwards someone asked me, "Have you taught before?" Uh, why do you ask? :-) I felt very validated! I realized afterwards, too, that I had worn my "professor clothes" - the standard black slacks that somehow look good no matter what I weigh at the moment, a fitted maroon top with a collar, hair in a bun. It's all about costuming, really...

I saw another knitter today! It was at the reception for minority grad students; she had a sock on wooden dpns - but ran off before I could talk to her. Terry says it was the fanatical gleam in my eye. I don't know what he's talking about, really!

1 comment:

tara said...

hey i tried to call you last even but the phone was busy... will try again tonight or this afternoon

it isn't as easy as i thought it would be with repeat courses but that is mostly just meeting stuff...