Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Transition (with lots of links)

Moving day is 10 days away; Friday is my last day at the office. The first real sign of transition occured this morning: I gave away a house plant. This Peace Lily was given to us by Doug and Cristina as a graduation gift when I finished my MS in 2001; it was in a pot about 10" in diameter. It has been tended by various Star Trek people* while we were on cross-cultural; sunburned when we moved to our new home on Willow St.; repotted many times as it has grown; now I have found it a new home at BBBS where my successor will actually look after it. The leaves hold a story in my mind, the old burnt-edged ones from a dry spell when no one watered it, the sunburned ones, and the fresh new ones that came out just as soon as the weather (and our house) warmed up. The plant's departure from our home is a portent of things to come, and gives me butterflies. It didn't seem real until today.

*Last night Terry and I were at the usual Monday night gathering to watch a taped episode of DS9. 3-year-old Simon looked around the room and, pointing at each person, said "Her, and he, and he, and he, and her, and you, and me, are all Star Trek people!" Not highly explanatory, but very charming.

No comments: