Friday, August 11, 2006

Story of a Hat

So Tuesday night, I went to Community Stitch Night at the LYS, where I showed Heidi et al my first strawberry hat. (Yes, the one I was knitting in the hammock). I was disatisfied with it, because it was just too long - it looked out of proportion. But if I tried to roll the brim up higher, the green strands between the "seeds" would show unbecomingly. So, I had this brilliant idea that I would just snip a thread about 2" from the bottom edge, unravel to the bottom, pick up the live stitches, and the re-knit the brim upside down using a picot trim. Brilliant!
Someone, I don't even know who, said, "Why don't you run a life-line through first?" Ah yes... genius! I actually used a circular needle to pick up stitches all the way around, BEFORE snipping the yarn. THEN I began to unravel.
When I was finished unravelling, I transferred the live stitches to my trusty DPNs and commenced knitting the trim. The last picture shows the sewing of the edge to make the picot thingies. The result? Immense satisfaction. Here is my fruit/veg/berry garden. Can you identify: strawberry, eggplant, blueberry, raspberry, and pumpkin? I bet you never saw a raspberry the size of a pumpkin before...! Last night I gave them all (plus 3 not pictured) to Tracey for the Farmer's Market. The saddest part of love is saying goodbye...

1 comment:

AK said...

ha! "disatisfied" The revenge of the inner editor.